For her birthday one year when we were growing up, our mom asked for a ring which had all of our birthstones in it. I always loved the idea of a personalized family piece of jewelry and when we came across this list of “Birth Month Flowers”, the idea to incorporate them into resin jewelry immediately came to mind. This would also be a thoughtful and inexpensive birthday, Mother’s Day or Christmas gift idea.
Materials Needed for this DIY Resin Jewelry Craft:
- 1” wide decorative jewelry bezel
- photograph of the flower of the month, sized and cut to fit the bezel
- gloves, wooden craft sticks, toothpicks paper towels
- Ultra-Seal Quick Decoupage (or other multipurpose sealer)
- EnviroTex Jewelry Resin
- plastic measuring cups
Instructions to Make the Flower of the Month Pendants
- Carefully cut the flower photo to fit the bezel using scissors or the right size of paper punch.
2. Paste the image into the bezel removing any bubbles underneath and generously coat the image and sides of the bezel with the multipurpose sealer. Let dry completely.
3. For best results be sure to read the instructions provided in the EnviroTex Jewelry Resin packaging. Mix exactly equal amounts of Resin and Hardener into one measuring cup. Stir continuously for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the container.
4. Pour the mixture into a second cup and stir for an additional minute, scraping the sides of the container and stir stick.
5. Using the stir stick, carefully dip your stick into the EnviroTex mixture and then drop into the bezel. Ensure that your bezel is level – I had to prop up one end a bit with a piece of paper. Fill the piece slightly higher than the rim for a nice dome finish.
6. Cover to keep dust from settling in. After about 25 minutes, remove any bubbles that have risen to the surface by gently blowing over the piece through a straw. Repeat if necessary after another 15 minutes.
7. Cover to minimize dust falling onto your piece and allow to cure overnight.
This pendant idea has me on the look-out for all the flowers to photograph over the coming months! If you are looking for another beautiful DIY resin jewelry idea, you’ll love this wood slice resin pendant created by our fellow #ResinCraftsCreativeTeam member Sheri as well.
Had you heard of birth flowers of the month before?
Like it? Pin it for later!
Jane and Sonja are sisters, moms and lifelong craft addicts both living near Toronto, Canada with their families. They share their love of creativity, nature and coastal DIY ideas on their blog Sustain My Craft Habit. They craft and decorate their homes using repurposed and upcycled items and materials found in nature.