Resin pyramids are a magical way to preserve and display flowers from a special event. Learn how to make your own resin pyramid using EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy!
DIY Resin Pyramid with Roses
Ever since we learned how to dry roses using silica drying crystals, I’ve wanted to make a floral resin pyramid! I’ve seen these trendy works of art on Instagram and was keen to try it out.
Not only do they make gorgeous decor, but what a lovely way to preserve and showcase flowers from a special event. Be it a wedding bouquet, Valentine’s Day arrangement or flowers from a funeral, a resin pyramid is the perfect way to create a keepsake piece of art.
Tips for Transforming your Bouquet into a Resin Pyramid
- Practice first. If it’s your first time to resin crafting, consider practicing with extra flowers before using the keepsake ones. Maybe pick up an inexpensive bouquet of various flowers as a practice run to get a sense of the flower drying and then resin casting process.
- Use the right resin. We recently wrote this post on which type of resin to use for various casting projects. We used EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy for our pyramid. EasyCast is easy to use and creates a crystal clear result. Just make sure to completely read the instructions in advance and only pour as much resin (6oz at a time maximum) as indicated. You could also use Castin’ Craft Clear Polyester Casting Resin which we’ll try on our next pyramid project.
- Give yourself lots of time. Since we chose to use EasyCast we knew that it would take at least 5, 4oz layers to completely submerge the rose. In the end it required 6 layers over 5 days (you should leave 6-8 hours of curing time between layers). So if you are planning to make this as a gift, be sure to budget enough time to do so.
If you still have questions about the process, be sure to join the Resin Crafting with ETI Facebook group. It’s a fantastic community of resin crafters who are keen to answer questions and share their own experiences. Plus, there are prizes to be won in the group each month, so be sure to join!
We’re happy to share the detailed video tutorial for this project over on our YouTube channel. While you’re there, we’d love it if you’d subscribe to be notified of our future resin crafting videos.
Here is the full materials list for the project:
- 32 oz EasyCast Clear Casting Epoxy
- Large pyramid mold
- Dried roses (you can see how we dried the roses using silica drying crystals)
- Dried greenery (such as boxwood stems)
- Gold leaf sheets
- Mixing cups, wood stir sticks, gloves
- Straw, kitchen torch
We hope you’ve found this video helpful. You may also enjoy some of our other floral resin crafting ideas:
Like it? Pin it for later!
Jane and Sonja are sisters, moms and lifelong craft addicts both living near Toronto, Canada with their families. They share their love of creativity, nature and coastal DIY ideas on their blog Sustain My Craft Habit. They craft and decorate their homes using repurposed and upcycled items and materials found in nature.